MPWD Celebrates 90 Years of Service
Thanks customers for the privilege of serving Belmont, San Carlos, and San Mateo County since 1929; kicks off anniversary year with festivities and community events.
A lot changes in 90 years. In 1929, bread cost 10¢, milk was 15¢, and a postage stamp would set you back 2¢. Cars were just transitioning from a “luxury” item to a staple of the American family. Radios were the primary form of entertainment, the first Oscar Award was presented to a silent film entitled “Wings,” and the Golden Gate Bridge was still years away from being built. Burns and Allen were comedy’s biggest names, Al Jolson was the most famous person in America, and Ernest Hemingway was the best-selling author.
On July 2 of that same year, a small water district was incorporated under the County Water District Act of California. The Belmont County Water District, which later became the Mid-Peninsula Water District (MPWD), began supplying water from the Hetch Hetchy Regional Water System to the local community. For MPWD, much has changed in 90 years, as well: technologies, water resources and conservation, a growing population, construction materials and techniques, and communications. But one thing has not changed for MPWD over the generations – its commitment to provide its customers with a safe, high-quality, reliable supply of water.
This unwaivering commitment – which is expressed in Our Mission – is guided by Our Vision to be recognized for our outstanding service and enlightened water conservation programs while employing innovative approaches to sustainability to achieve cutting edge environmental efficiency and a competitive rate structure. Today, MPWD serves approximately 28,000 people over five square miles via a gravity fed system that includes nine pumping stations, ten storage tanks, and delivery of 2.5 to 4.8 million gallons of water per day.
The MPWD employees and Board of Directors are proud to celebrate 90 years of service to our community and invite you to join us during this anniversary year for our various outreach events and workshops. For more information about the MPWD and to stay up to date on our community outreach events, Capital Improvement Program, water conservation resources, and much more, please visit MidPeninsulaWater.org today!
MPWD: Then & Now
In 2019, MPWD celebrates a major milestone with its 90th anniversary. Much of MPWD’s efforts in recent years have centered around upgrading the water delivery infrastructure, maintaining a high degree of personalized customer service, focusing on fiscal responsibility, and achieving greater sustainability in water and energy resources. Some of MPWD’s accomplishments included:
- Exceeded California State water conservation goals during the recent drought (attained 28% versus 20% target).
- Funding and implementation of the $20 million, 5-year Capital Improvement Program to upgrade critical infrastructure throughout the MPWD service area.
- Launch of a modern and resourceful website for enhanced customer experience and communication that was recently awarded a Transparency Certificate of Excellence by the SDLF.
- Modernization of the MPWD vehicle fleet with more fuel-efficient or all-electric models.
- The first “State of the District” address was held.
- Awarded “Project of the Year” by the APWA Silicon Valley Chapter for the Buckland Tanks Replacement Project.
- Expansion of school education and community outreach programs, including field trips, hands-on workshops, the popular water awareness poster contest, and mentoring programs.
- Completion of the automated meters installation and launch of the online Home Water Use Report tool.
- Upgraded billing and accounting software; new online payment system deployed.
- Completion of sanitary-sewer and water rehabilitation joint project with the City of Belmont.