Catalog of Enterprise Systems
GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION 6270.5 COMPLIANCE
Approved on October 11, 2015, Government Code Section 6270.5 added a section to the California Public Records Act requiring local agencies to create a catalog of Enterprise Systems with annual updates.
As defined by Government Code Section 6270.5, an Enterprise System is a software application or computer system that collects, stores, exchanges, and analyzes information an agency uses that is both of the following:
- A multi-departmental system or a system that contains information collected about the public.
- A system that serves as an original source of data within an agency.
An Enterprise System does not include any of the following:
- Information Technology security systems, including firewalls and other cybersecurity systems.
- Physical access control systems, employee identification management systems, video monitoring and other physical control systems.
- Infrastructure and mechanical control systems, including those that control or manage street lights, electrical, natural gas, or water or sewer functions.
- Systems related to 911 dispatch and operation or emergency services.
- Systems that would be restricted from disclosure by Government Code Section 6254.19.
- The specific records that the information technology system collects, stores, exchanges, or analyzes.
1. Create a catalog of enterprise systems, containing:
- Current vendor
- Current system product
- System’s purpose
- A description of categories or types of data
- The department that is the prime custodian of the data
- The frequency that system data is collected
- The frequency that system data is updated
2. To make the catalog publicly available upon request
3. To post the catalog in a prominent location on the agency’s website
If the public interest served by not disclosing the information described clearly outweighs the public interest served by disclosure, the local agency may instead provide a system name, brief title or identifier of the system.
Download notices as PDF files: