ECR Capital Improvement Project
In 2014, as part of its long-term strategic planning, the Mid-Peninsula Water District (MPWD) undertook a comprehensive review and assessment of its water system infrastructure and facilities. The goal was to develop a comprehensive, prioritized Capital Improvement Program (CIP) and a functional hydraulic model to modernize the water delivery infrastructure. Following development and calibration of the hydraulic model in late 2015, the MPWD generated a comprehensive list of 92 projects estimated at approximately $52 million (2015 dollars). In May, 2016, the MPWD adopted the Comprehensive System Analysis and Capital Improvement Program FY 2016-2017 Update in addition to authorizing a 5-year funding plan of $20 million. Improvements to the water main underneath El Camino Real were identified as a top-20 priority project.
The MPWD’s El Camino Real Water Main Improvements consists of replacing approximately 3,600 linear feet of 8-inch cast iron (CI) water main constructed in the 1950s that scored high for replacement in the MPWD’s Capital Improvement Program with 8-inch ductile iron (DI) along the southbound El Camino Real between Ruth Avenue and Middle Road, and abandoning a separate 300-foot section in front of Safeway. The project includes installation of pipe, fittings, gate valves, fire hydrants, new copper domestic service laterals, and reconnection of fire services to the new water main. Although a large portion of construction work will take place during the daytime on weekdays, a portion of work is scheduled to take place overnight from 9:00 pm to 5:00 am (Sunday night to Friday morning; NO work on Friday night and all of Saturday) in order to minimize inconvenience during the day to affected businesses.
ECR Project Area
WHERE: Southbound ECR from Ruth Road (on the north end) to Middle Road (on the south end), and approximately 300 feet in front of the Safeway on ECR. (Click image below for larger detail)
WHEN: Construction work is proposed to begin March 1, 2021, and continue for approximately nine months.
- Construction work is proposed to begin March 1, 2021, and continue for approximately nine months moving southward on ECR over nine separate phases.
- Daytime construction will take place weekdays on the sidewalk, parking lane, and various lanes along southbound El Camino Real from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Right lane closures will occur between 9:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- Any nighttime construction will take place from 9:00 pm to 5:00 am, Sunday through Thursday.
- During this period, parking and the slow lane will be blocked off and used for construction. “No Parking” signs will be placed in the construction zone.
- Pedestrian access will be provided at all time.
- Emergency vehicles and personnel will always have access during construction as necessary.
- There will be detours available during the construction.
Expect traffic delays up to 15 min. on the southbound El Camino Real between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm, Monday-Friday (non-holiday) from March – November, 2021. Traffic updates, as they become available, can be found at the MPWD Traffic Advisories page.
UPDATE MARCH 2021: Due to a project delay, no construction is expected along the southbound ECR until the second week of May, 2021.
The Construction Hotline is 650-622-4360. You can contact the MPWD Office with general questions at our Contact Us Page.